Saturday, 1 March 2014

A Few Days in York

February 2014 Rowntree Park caravan Club site York

Day 1
We collected the van from Marquis in Birtley after it had some jobs and it's annual maintenance check done. We pitched up on the Riverside section of Rowntree Park- unbelievably empty!    It was so quiet- apart from geese honking on the river.  We had a quick look round shops before heading for the Wetherspoons on the corner of Nunnery Lane , The Punchbowl. The river levels are quite high but the wardens tell me that it's dropping rapidly. That's why there is no-one on this part of the site - the wardens hadn't let anyone park here till the levels dropped.

Day 2
It was so quiet- we've never had so much space to ourselves here before. The main site is almost full. We had a huge van cleaning session and the sun came out. There was an airlock in the fridge- it wouldn't light on gas. A quick call to Marquis- we had to restart the fridge several times then it worked. We did run it on 230 volts but we wanted to check everything was working. We cleaned out the bottoms of cupboards and relined shelves- how exciting! But it is quite gratifying to know it's all clean....'fettled' as my sadly departed friend Doreen used to say.  We felt we had earned a pint so went to the Old Swan and then the Oak. We went to the Reel Cinema to see 'Twelve Years a Slave'.

Day 3 
There were loads of messages for Pete's birthday and our anniversary. We had a day out to the Coast going to Flamborough and Filey  via Castle Howard, in the sunshine. We were a bit late going to the RSPB centre at Bempton Cliffs so we didn't stay- we'll go back when the gannets arrive.  We shared fish and chips sitting outside in the sun in  Filey...amazing. The drive back was lovely because the sky was so beautiful and the sun going down created super colours and lit up the clouds.  We called at Monk's Cross for shopping then had champagne in the van before going to Piccolino's Italian restaurant for a lovely meal. What a super day!

Day 4 
Pete shaved his moustache off! Lots of vans and caravans started arriving. We walked the walls along to Morrison's ( fish on offer!) We walked around town calling it at favourite shop Barnetts- there's always something we 'need'! In this case, brass polish and kitchen cleaner. We went in Osset brewery's pub, 'The Hop' which is a wonderful building, watched a street performer, had pasties and then went in York Brewery's  'Last Drop'. It's supposed to be a haunted pub and Pete's pint of porter certainly looked like it had a ghost in ! Maybe it was a porter-geist? 
The Hop

Porter with added ghost

The Minster
Day 5 
We have discovered that the habitation door lock is not working. Marquis had the door off to fit a new fly screen door and  that's what has caused it- another trip to Marquis. This van is great but things just seem to go wrong. We went to Sheriff Hutton in the car and walked around the castle via the fields. We then walked around Malton , visiting the market. We went back to the van then went in search of  a pub with a tv on to watch the football, not the rugby. We went down Micklegate to the Priory which was very busy but had football and rugby on. We chatted to a few locals but the football wasn't great. We went into the 'Slip' Inn on the way back to the site and had a comfortable drink there.

Day 6 
After being busy, most vans and caravans left the site. We read the papers and had a lazy morning then went out of the back of the site and walked all round the walls. we also went along the river through the museum  gardens  and looked at places we'd never been before.  We came back via the Blue Boar and yet another pasty shop for Pete. In the evening we went to the Ebor- live music was advertised but the guy there playing his guitar had barely got to page three of the Bert Weedon ' Play in a day' songbook ..we had a drink and left. 
walking the walls
We love York and always manage to see somewhere we've never been before- an alleyway, a shop or even better, a pub!

No comments:

Post a Comment