Tuesday, 8 January 2013

30th November 2012 Grassington

Wharfedale Caravan Club site - Grassington

We didn't spend the first night in the van as we usually do when we pack it up for a trip as it was too cold. We set off very early and had a coffee just past the Craven Heifer outside Skipton. We were on pitch 91, halfway down the last row. Tom, Lucille, Katie and Stewart arrived and we had a walk down into Grassington and had a mulled cider in the pub. I cooked Dimitris' feta buns again and we had a Greek food night- hummus, beef stifado, lemon potatoes and salad with a berry strudel for pudding.

Saturday- Dickensian Fair.
hot pork sandwiches!
We walked down to Grassington again on very slippery paths and it was very sunny and cold. The market was in full swing with stalls selling all sorts of things and stall holders dressed in old fashioned costumes. We watched a guy balancing on a huge ball and making people laugh while he juggled with fire  and watched a group of Mummers perform traditional carols and a play. Another man read from Dicken's 'Oliver Twist' while local boys acted out the story. We ate a hot pork sandwich and had mulled wine from a stall- it was great! 
Here's a video :

It was very atmospheric especially in the late afternoon at the top of the village looking over the rooftops to the hills beyond. We called in at The Old Hall pub in Threshfield on the way back up to the site then gathered in Katie and Stew's van for salmon and veg followed by rhubarb and apple crumble. 

The next day ( Sunday) despite icy pavements again, we went for a walk into Grassington then up High Lane and across east towards Hebden and back. It was a super walk. We called in at the Old Hall again before going to Tom and Lucille's for a Moroccan tagine. Pete and me had a quick drink in the Gamekeeper's on the site next to the caravan club site at Long Ashes- purely for research purposes of course.

There was a flurry of snow in the night and we saw some strange prints  in the snow around the van in the morning. Tom's car wouldn't start so Stew helped him get it jump started. We went to Kettlewell to give the car a run and to check out changes to Causeway bungalow caravan site there where we have stayed before. When we got back to Wharfedale, Pete and me walked round the top of the site round by a quarry where there were lovely views. We ate in the Gamekeeper's ( after our research!) and had a super meal. It was steak night and everyone who had steak said it was beautifully cooked. They have real ales too. 

1 comment: